2015 FALL MS EECS PS,求改哇qwq,有好的建议给米米~

xinxi531
ps如下~
Personal Statement
Xi Xin

As a child grew up in a highly intellectual family, my initial interest in information technology (IT) was due to the influences of my parents and other senior family members whose majors are mostly engineering-related. Their discussions on the Internet and the Second-Generation Mobile Communication system aroused my native curiosities in the IT worlds. This native childhood curiosity was later translated into a strong motivation, yielding a top performance in mathematics and physics during my whole middle school period.

During the middle school period, I watched an interesting movie “I, Robot” where I was deeply impressed by the “intelligence” of the robots and started to appreciate the beauty of artificial intelligence. As a continuation of my interest, I proudly chose to join the School of Communication & Information Engineering, University of Electronic Science and Technology of China (UESTC) for my undergraduate study, since this department is prestigious among most IT engineers and ranks top 5 among all the universities in China.

In the first two years of my undergraduate studies, I took fundamental courses in the field of mathematics, computer programming and electrical engineering to form a solid background for artificial intelligence. More specifically, in the field of mathematics, I took courses such as “Calculus”, “Linear Algebra”, “Probability and Mathematical Statistics” as well as “Discrete Mathematics” to enrich my database of mathematics. In the field of electrical engineering, I took key courses including “Circuit Principle”, “Analogic Electronics” and “Digital Electronics”, forming a preliminary understanding of information technology. In addition, I practiced my programming capability by conducting course projects such as image defogging based on MATLAB and Simulation of the Monty Hall problem based on C.

As I went deeper into the field of information technology, I realized that the area of artificial intelligence demonstrated in the movie of “I, Robot” was a huge research area that includes the fields of machine learning, computer vision/image processing and embedded system, etc. Starting from the third year of my undergraduate studies, I chose to focus on image processing by sharpening my skills in practical projects using various classic algorithms. In the first hand-on project, I participated in the “Biomedical Instrument Innovation Competition” organized by the United Imaging Healthcare where my team developed a combined algorithm enabling the detection and segmentation of blood vessels in CT image set. This algorithm is simulated on the platform of MATLAB. More specifically, as the group leader, I segmented blood vessels using density analysis, variance filtering and general/detailed description based on a new algorithm which can be applied to analyze cerebral and leg CTA volume images. As a result of this contest, our algorithm was ranked as number 3 among 14 teams.

As the first hand-on project on medical image processing, I learned to process images with the format of 16-bit RAW rather than common formats of JPG. In addition, From the perspective of problem solving, I was trained to locate relevant algorithms in IEEE database and practiced corresponding algorithms using MATLAB. Based on this project, I gained a deeper understanding on image processing, and started to appreciate the elegance of various algorithms in digital image processing.

In the second project of mine, I developed an algorithm enabling car-license identification in complex environments where car plate images under different lighting conditions were analyzed based on distribution characteristics. HSV color space was transformed to RGB space for features extraction. Summarizing experimental results, as the first author, I drafted a manuscript which was accepted for publication by a Chinese core journal called “computer measurement and control”.

In order to further enrich my practical experiences in English communication, I joined the Global Education Association 2014 Summer Camp as a local technician in the Hermosa Medical Center, Chicago, USA. During the one-month staying in this medical center, I was responsible for trouble shooting all the electronics-relevant problems and uploading local MRI data to remote servers. Since these medical personals have no background of electronics, they cannot describe the electronic problems clearly. I had to discuss with them a lot to locate relevant problems, which significantly practiced my spoken English and improved my communication capability in English.

Starting from Aug. 2014, I worked in the Institute of Computing Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences as a Research Intern with a project on brain glioma image processing. In this project, I conducted tumor segmentation algorithm on brain MRI image sets by using the Fuzzy C-Means clustering and realized three-dimensional reconstruction based on the Segmented Marching cubes algorithm. Based on the result of three-dimensional reconstruction, tumor surface area, volume and maximal diameters were evaluated as references for doctors.

As the first working experience in the Chinese Academy of Sciences, I learned to deal with several practical challenges. I spent four days in literature search when I read more than 20 papers and located relevant algorithms for 3D reconstruction including Marching Cubes and Fuzzy C-means clustering. In order to deal with the issue of person-to-person variations of MRI images, I compared tons of MRI data to locate common features and fine tune relevant parameters to optimize the choice of the thresholds. Due to the nice performance, I was invited to finish my undergraduate thesis by my supervisor in CAS.

At the same time, it is the experiences in CAS that make me realized their solid relevance among the fields of image processing, computer vision and machine learning: image processing is a prerequisite procedure for image understanding in computer vision, while machine learning can offer a pool of innovative methodology for image processing and computer vision. To make further achievements, I think it is high time for me to learn more about computer vision and machine learning to enrich my knowledge database in this area. Robotics, a highly interdisciplinary program provided by University of Pennsylvania, appears to be a great choice for me to achieve my goal. I am confident that I can receive a top-quality education on your Robotics program. If I am admitted, I am also confident that I can make significant progresses in the field of computer vision and image processing. Upon completion of the program, I will definitely pursue a PhD degree and strive to make more scientific contributions that both your university and I can be proud of.

另外这个申请是针对宾大的。请问未来规划我只写了我会继续读phd,这样是不是有点少,需要再增加一些吗
谢谢啦啦啦~
5条回复