9th AD from Brown Biostat

ldeng33
和地里其他伙伴一样,先收到一个试探邮件,第二天又收到一个被从phd降ms的错误邮件。。。今天收到正式的录取信。

这里附上director回复我问题的邮件,供大家参考!

1) For ScM students, how were thesis projects typically done in the past? Should students complete it based on their research with faculties in the department of Biostatistics?

Thesis/Projects are always done with a faculty member of the department who is a major part of the project. However, many times students also work with faculty or researchers in other departments that they are interestedin. For example, one student is working at Massachusetts General Hospital with a physician and they are working with them and one faculty member from our department for their thesis right now.

2) What is the approximate proportion of students who joined research in their first year of study? Do faculties in the department receive lab rotations for ScM students?

In terms of research, I have faculty right now looking for studentsto help with research. In fact I am having a hard time filling all of them. Some research is paid and others is not paid but gives you great experience and a reference. I would say if you want research, then by applying and talking with faculty you can findsomething. We do not have any lab rotations but we encourage students to meet and work with any faculty they desire.

3) What are the job outcomes for Biostatistics ScM graduates? In particular, how are international students supported during their job searching process and where they tend to end up being after graduation?

We have a Journal Club and Career Seminar Series just for our masters students. During this time we discuss things like success in graduate school, resume building, networking skills, mock interviews, how to search for jobs and we even bring in alumniand employers to discuss all of this. International students that have taken the time to do mock interviews and to network with alumni and others do not typically have a problem finding a job.

I apologize for the alumni information missing. We just changed websites and are working to update that. We have alumni at:

• IBM
  • Trip Advisor
  • Amgen
  • Dana Farber
  • Harvard
  • Boston Children's Hospital
  • the NFL
  • Jacksonvill Jaguars
  • USA Soccer
    <*>New York City Police Department
  • Johnson and Johnson

4) What is the probability of becoming a phd student in Brown after my ScM degree in biostatistics?

For entering our PhD program, we only accept 5-6 students a year for it. 1-2 of our masters students enter our PhD program and the rest go outside. You would have a good chance at other PhD programs as well, the important thing would be to make sure to do somegood research and to take a couple theoretical classes to display those abilities.

5) What is the anticipating size of incoming class of 2021? (Including Master's and PhD degree)

I am hoping to get around 20 Masters students enrolled and 6 PhD students.

6) Are grants available to ScM students?

Unfortunately, I am not aware of grants for ScM Students. In terms of funding, I am waiting on the exact financial numbers for this year but here is a break down from last year. Brown charged about $6500 percourse this leads to the following costs:

1st year: 5 courses x $6500 = $32,500
2nd year: 4 courses x $6500 = $26,000
Total: $58,500

However a 15% tuition scholarship your cost would be $49,725. If you need insurance there is an addition cost but I believe that is around $500 dollars. You can take more courses with the scholarship as well. If you wanted to take 12 courses with the scholarship this would be $66,300 for the entire program. I realize that is a lot but if you compare:

Yale per year: $41,000
Harvard per year: $43,000 - $53, 000 per year
John Hopkins: $53,000 per year

Basically you could earn your full degree from Brown for the cost of one semester at our typical competitors. In addition we have students who work as RA/TA and earn around $1250 per month for this. Many students find apartmentsfor under $600 per month rent and your student ID gets you on all public transit in the state for free. Like I said, I realize that it is a large cost but we work hard to make sure it is very affordable compare to our competitors.

大家有别的关于这个项目的信息可以在下面留言~~欢迎大米!

9条回复