【加米】cs master SOP 求意见

PennyL
刚刚交了一份申请,对SOP/PS 感觉很虚,只有自己改过一稿,希望大佬们提提意见。
主申top tier,感谢加米🙏

Statement of Purpose

My interest in Computer Science sparkles in the last .... of my freshman year when I was an undergraduate researcher in the quantum computing group of Physics department. At that time, I was writing thousand lines of code in MATLAB to model quantum FFT algorithms, a Ph.D candidate who sat next to me made a joke: “They always say that physicists write the worst code.” I was stimulated by his remark and took my first ever class in computer science, with the sheer naïve goal to improve my coding style. I had no idea of the adventure ahead.

Research Experience

Through two and a half years of courses and part-time research experience, I centered around two subfields, data mining and computer graphics. In data mining, supervised by …., we designed attacking schemes to a proposed fraud detection algorithm. By introducing rating bots to real-world datasets from ….. , we optimized the algorithm by working out an optimized reviewer-trusted-verified algorithm and a variant with supervised learned parameters, the latter outperforming existing algorithms in our experimental setting. Through this research, I gained experience in first, formalizing data mining algorithm with rigorous math definition and second, carrying out efficient implementation with massive real-world datasets. Through this process, I found out that there were always so much to learn and taught myself parallel computing and data visualization.

A second interest of mine, that I like to further explore in graduate school, is computer graphics and physical computing. After taking two courses with ….., I became immensely interested in the area. My final project for physical computing involves a simulation of jellyfish motion with emphasis on two-way Semi-Lagrangian coupling of solid and fluid, between a spring mass system and a grid-based flow. It captivates me to simulate elegant natural phenomena with algorithms. For computer graphics, I implemented a ray-tracing rendering that, together with bump mapping and noise, features vivid simulation of a sci-fi neon city. Combining my interest in the above fields, I am working on my senior thesis which will work on fast computational solution for deep learning tasks, using continuous PDE solvers inspired by physical systems.

Engineering Experience

Other than research, I worked extra miles to hone my engineering capabilities. Through free-lance projects and internships, I learned to read official documentation, API and source code where convenient answers, such as Stack Overflow or tech blogs, are not in place. I touched upon topics like computer vision and natural language processing from the industrial application perspectives. Furthermore, as a freelancer, I took ownership of my products from end to end. I learned important thing such as communicating requirement with clients and consulting experts when needed.

I hope to gain formal and structured training on those subjects with Stanford’s famed course offerings (……). From my diverse engineering projects, I learnt that domain knowledge may not be directly transferrable from project to project. Nonetheless, I became an ardent believer in a formal and advanced grad school training to equip myself with the fundamental preparation, so as to quickly grasp new technologies and, ultimately, contribute innovative technologies to the world.

Career Goals

In this coming summer, I will join ….. I believe your program is the top of its kind, but even more than that, it will help me achieve my career goals. In the short run, I hope to become the person to answer technical problems for my team. In the long term, I aspire to become an inspiring figure in the industry.
27条回复