FSU PhD Stats是个坑!!!

话不多说了,上图吧。

我陶瓷了不下20个教授,而且和10+个学校的招生小秘书联系过。FSU的回复,真的是我见过最。。。奇怪的。我觉得他们对待学生的态度比较冷漠,就是一种你爱来不来的感觉。我给UBC的白人教授,还有其他一些学校的大牛教授,别人都会回复的很nice,最起码我觉得是互相尊重的一个过程。

我收到无奖ad的时候,我发邮件给招生教授和小秘书,大意是这样的:

I am very excited to receive offer from FSU. I really appreciate if I could have your advice on the following questions:

1. If the funding is not available for the first year PhD student, is there any other fellowships or research assistant opportunity for international students to apply? If there is any, how much per month will I receive?

2. I would like to know whether some of my credits from UC Irvine could transfer to FSU?

3. I also worked as a teaching assistant (reader) at undergrad statistics courses for two consecutive quarters at UC Irvine. Can I apply for TA at FSU for the first year?

I would love to join the outstanding research team at FSU and please accept my apology to bother you with so many questions. If applicable, may I schedule a phone call or video conference with you and admission officers? I would like to discuss more about life at FSU. Or if there is any online orientation sessions, please let me know. My availability is quite flexible and could arrange based on your schedule.

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you again for your patience and guidance.

Wish you a successful and joyful day.

这个教授给我的回复是:
Here are the answers to your questions:
1. If the funding is not available for the first year PhD student, is there any other fellowships or research assistant opportunity for international students to apply? If there is any, how much per month will I receive? Unfortunately, my department has a very tight budget this year and we could not offer you any financial assistance.

2.I would like to know whether some of my credits from UC Irvine could transfer to FSU?
You may transfer at most 6 credit hours from UC Irvine to here if the 6 credit hours did not count towards your MS at US Irvine.

3. I also worked as teaching assistant (reader) at undergrad statistics courses for two consecutive quarters at UC Irvine. Can I apply for TA at FSU for the first year?
No, we have no more TA positions open.

Actually, your best choice is to continue your Ph.D study at UC Irvine.

在这之前我给这个教授发过陶瓷邮件,他真的是连看都没有看,直接把我的邮件转发给招生小秘书说:please answer his question. (我感觉我认认真真读了一下午他的paper真是浪费我的时间,而且是her,拜托!)

这个学校的广告邮件发的最勤,但是一点实在的都没有。

这负责招生的教授也是可以,我不知道他们玩不玩一亩三分地,但是最起码通过这种敷衍的态度,我就大概知道他们学校没有funding是的原因了。

直接贴上往来邮件的贴图。

我真的觉得FSU是一个异类,我已经收到了一个更好的offer(43k一年的phd in math),FSU肯定是不会去了。

但是我也想给后面申请的孩子提个醒,读博士和研究生不一样,一定要选择好导师并且这个学校一定能给你提供足够的资源,并且如果不是家里资产上亿,慎重选择自费的博士项目。

我可以列一个申请过程中遇见的好学校好导师,陶瓷是个学习的过程,和好的导师聊天真的会受益颇丰。

FSU,再见“)

补充内容 (2020-3-31 02:49):
43k的funding是多伦多。43k是学费也要交的
14条回复