【回复都加米】SOP初稿求狠批

bluestme
第一份写出来的申请SOP,自己反复改过觉得没什么问题了,希望大佬们的批评
生物统计主申top tier,感谢加米🙏

When we talk about biostatistics, we are talking about a bridge linking abstract mathematical theories and living people like you and me. To go through this bridge, an excellent biostatistician, unlike statisticians or biologists who specialize in a single area, need to be equipped with knowledge and skills from multiple fields. They need to be able to find their connections and determine the best analysis methods for biological problems. To be an all-around biostatistician is what I am pursuing for my career life, no matter in academics or industry. Therefore, I look forward to building a solid theoretical foundation and receiving professional training in statistical programming through a graduate program at XXX.

Due to my initial interest in mathematics and biology developed in childhood and high school, I chose my major in applied biology with biotechnology and minor in applied mathematics for my undergraduate study at XXX University. Classes taken have given me the initial exposure to the field of biostatistics. My major courses provided me with extensive knowledge in biology, enabling me to interpret the analysis results and understand biological meanings behind numbers. My minor classes offered me a basic understanding of mathematical and statistical theories, allowing me to evaluate statistical models for biological studies.

My three research experiences, with each from the perspective of biology, statistics, and computation, have provided me with a thorough understanding of the whole process of biostatistics analysis. They enabled me to link the knowledge I learned in my previous classes from different backgrounds. My first project is with XXXXX, which has continued to be my ongoing final year project. This project involved XXXXXXX. I applied different standards proposed in published papers, includin XXXXXX, to evaluate XXXXX. I also used XXXXX as references to further determine XXXXXXX. I have built several peptide databases, and we are trying to find more by applying XXXXXXXX. This project has informed me how statistical tools and algorithms can contribute to biological studies and drug development.

I independently handled two projects during my exchange at NCSU in my junior year. My first project with Dr. XXX involved a XXXXXXXXXXXXXX. For this purpose, I derived the XXXXXXXX according to the protocol proposed in a paper originally used for XXXXX. To overcome some difficulties for XXXX, such as XXXX, Dr XXX advised me to XXXXXXXXXX. To test if it works for the case we were interested in, I implemented mathematical derivation results into R code for simulation studies. The simulation results suggested that XXX also works for XXX, but XXXX does not work anymore. Thus, I am considering XXX to finish the XXXX. This project gives me the experience to design a statistical test by mathematical methods. It was interrupted by COVID-19 in March of 2020, resumed in late summer, and is coming to an end now. During days when it was interrupted, I worked on another project with the GEARS program of NCSU.

I did the project of XXX under the supervision of XXX. It is mainly about conducting numerical experiments to test XXXXX. I read papers on XXXXX and implement and incorporate a version of the latter algorithm into XXXXXX R code. To test its performance, I did experiments with simulated large pre-clustered datasets. I applied XXXXX to accelerate the computation speed and XXXXX to test the result. The results showed that XXXXXXXXX. I documented my work with R Markdown and made a poster for an online presentation at NCSU. I am very grateful that XXX introduced me to statistical learning with this project, displaying me the charm of statistical learning in the metadata analysis.

Therefore, with all my passions to become an all-round biostatistician, I believe the MA program in biostatistics of XXX, offering a broad training in statistical theories, computer programming, and application of such knowledge in biological and medical areas can prepare me for this lifelong career. I learned that the biostatistics program of XXXX is especially excellent in applying machine learning algorithm for large data analysis, in which I am particularly interested. With some insights into this field provided by my research with XXX, I believe machine learning can inject new life to the old area of biostatistics as today’s datasets are getting larger and larger. Moreover, there are many excellent biostatistics faculty members at XXXX. I have known some of them in classes I took and papers I read. It would be my great honor to study from them for my graduate study. Therefore, knowing that I still have a long way to become an outstanding biostatistician, I strongly hope to join the Master of Art in biostatistics program of XXXX. Your consideration is highly appreciated.

7条回复