感谢hdchina2010修改~感谢bmbdl挑刺 政府需要投入更多钱给环境保护还是经济发展

ScottShao
Government should focus its budgets more on environmental protection than on economic development.

Two main concerns of people nowadays are environmental issues and economic growth, which involve respectively with people’s physical health and quality of their life. With the increasing concerns about both two aspects, governments are hesitating in which they should invest more funds. Some people claim that economic development deserves more budgets. From my perspective, however, more money should be put on the protection of environment than on the development of economy, for no delay allowed for environmental problems and promotion of economy environmental conservation will bring about.

To begin with, the economy of a country can be promoted at any time, while the conservation of environment cannot be delayed. In other words, once environment is polluted, people can hardly or have to pay giant cost to reverse the situation, for the complexity and diversity of environmental issues. For example, after the Industrial Revolution, the pollution in the Thames River became horrible. When British government realized that problem, it takes them tens of years and large amount of money to solve it. Just like my mom always tells me, " It's easy to make something dirty, really hard to make it clean again."

Furthermore, protecting the environment boosts the economic development to some extend. A place where air is filled with unpleasant scent, mountains are surrounded by polluted water can hardly attract numerous visitors, even it has many historical sites. However, when the environment has been improved, the situation is completely different. According to an article published in China Tourism News, about 80 percent of tourists would not take Shaoxing, where has been severely polluted by human activities, as their first choice in 2008, while about 60 percent of visitors tend to choose Shaoxing, where is generally considered as one of the most beautiful and peaceful towns for relaxation. The reason why people’s choice altered is that the local government invested a large amount of money into the improvement of local environment during the past five years. In this case, better environment is able to attract more visitors and thus can promote the growth of local economy.

However, it is undeniable that economic development is not only significant for every single person but for the whole country as well, since it concerns the foundation of individual life and state building. Yet, considering destructive consequences of environmental deterioration, the government should shift its focus to environmental issues.

As I said, while economic development is essential for both individuals and whole society, it pales in importance compared to environmental protection. We do need a "Heaven" with clean water and air, green trees and beautiful mountains. The "Hell" with money is always our last choice.
7条回复