文科(语言学)转码|真实文书分享!怎样写出一篇具有故事性的文书?

JessieKGYZ
楼主今年3月份决定转码,并在一个月内完成选校及申请(全程DIY),最终在4月份收到三封学校的ad, 所以想给大家分享一下文科背景申请转码项目的文书应该怎么写~
(咳咳!本次分享是希望给大家参考一下思路,最好不要直接拿去用哈,避免被学校查重抓包🚫)

P1: 开篇定下PS主题 --- I thrive on inexperience, 同时引出自己第一段的转专业学习经历
I thrive on inexperience. Just two years ago, I left China and came to the United States to pursue a Master’s degree in linguistics at XXX. The underlying mechanics of language—how it is taught, perceived, and processed over time, fascinated me.

P2: 直接指出自己遇到困难, 并简要概述所做出的努力及结果(结果尽量量化,比如取得的考试成绩,收到的奖项)
Upon enrollment, I realized I had one significant challenge: I was the only student in my class with no prior experience in formal linguistic theory, a critical piece of the program. 具体努力的行为 With consistent efforts in every course I’ve taken, my hard work has all been paid off. 具体努力的结果

P3: !重点来了!要描述一下想转码的契机:可以是某次讲座,某次作业,总之需要表达出通过这件事情自己对CS感兴趣了!
During my first semester at XXX, I was assigned to annotate human language data... I first tried to follow the instructions by labeling the sentences one-by-one in a spreadsheet, which ended up containing more than 5000 sentences. I soon found that this manual annotation was time-consuming and error-prone. I realized the necessity to write programs to automate this repetitive process. Therefore, I enrolled in “XXX”….

P4: 在这一段 ,我不仅描述了自己上第一门CS课的感受,也call back了我的中心词:我再次在全新的领域开始学习,并且通过努力取得良好的结果
This, too, was uncharted territory for me. I was the only student in the class who hadn’t taken any prior programming courses, and it showed at first. However, as I had with linguistic study, I rolled up my sleeves and got to work. 具体努力的行为+具体努力的结果

P5:在这段中 ,主要表达我在学习之后对CS进一步的感受,并强调我当前背景的亮点
When writing the report, my deepest conviction was that only when the noncreative and repetitive work is removed can all the energy be directed to the root of the problem at hand. I also realized the intrinsic value of my linguistic background; I perceived the problem differently than my peers and provided insights into how we should analyze the language data. This successful experience solidified my interest in computer science and my confidence in future learning.

P6:简单提及自己在学习CS之后想要做出的改变,并展开为什么想选某个项目,对于转码项目可以强调一下很适合自己当前基础薄弱的情况
These experiences have helped me target a new goal: XXX. I want to graduate from a Master’s program in computer science where I can establish a solid computing foundation and receive first-hand experience in programming. The XXX program at XXX is my ideal choice because it’s tailored specifically for students with little experience in the field—perfect for me and my track record of learning with quick enthusiasm.

P7:进一步指出自己为什么想申请该项目,可以具体到某一位教授,某一门课程甚至具体的就业服务,同时再次强调自己有决心和耐力完成学业
With its rich tradition of excellence in academia and the well-designed course curriculum, the XXX program at XXX holds in the highest regard, and I hope you’ll agree my two-year study at XXX demonstrated my optimism and persistence to achieve every goal. The required introductory courses will prepare me for the abundant elective course which will allow me to dive into my interests. For example, I wish to enroll in XXX for learning more advanced skills in natural language processing.

P8: 除了谈及自己能为项目带来怎样的diversity以外,可以进一步谈谈未来的职业规划,可以具体5年内或者10年内。接着还是猛夸学校,稍稍升华一下,就大功告成啦,如果能首尾呼应,再结合一下自己的背景就更好了。
I look forward to being part of the supportive and diverse student body at XXX. The camaraderie with classmates and faculty members alike is of great importance, and I will do my best to build that rapport. Upon receiving my graduate degree from XXX, my short-term goal is to become a software developing engineer at XXX. Once I gain valuable experience, my dream is to work on cutting-edge learning algorithms for optimizing language learning and to promote the overall learning quality. I know the XXX program at XXX will help me accomplish my goals, and I hope my experience can inspire other liberal arts students to bravely pursue their dream in the field of computing and technology. I hope, after learning my story, that you will find we speak the same language!

总结一下:

跟据学长学姐以及我自己的经验,一篇好的文书不仅仅是需要把基本的部分都cover到,还应该做到每部分是串联在一起的,因为一篇有故事性,连贯的文书会更有可读性!

那想要一篇文书连贯第一步就是要想好自己想讲一个怎样的故事,故事中的你具有怎样的性格特征和品质。这一关键点确定好之后,我们需要做的就是找到先关的事例说明。

因为是跨专业学习,除了兴趣以外,我们需要向学校证明自己是有能力完成学业的,所以在这篇文书中,我给自己定下的关键词就是:persistence & optisim。

为了说明这两点,我列举了自己第一次跨专业学习和第一次上CS课的经历,最后就可以自然的引出自己在这个项目也会完成目标。

(再敲一下重点;️只要确定好了主干,大家在写文书的时候就不会“跑题”了。)

再回到转码的文书的特殊性上,因为大部分转码选手缺乏基本的课程学习,那我们的故事的另一部分就是我们为什么要转码?也就是说我们需要将自己的心理转变过程和想法分享给招生官。

也许是听某一个讲座,做了某个作业或者是像我因为遇到了某个困难,想要利用编程去解决,这些都可以作为我们想要转码的契机。 但除了这个契机,我们还需要向招生官表示我们并不是一拍脑子就想转码,而是在进一步尝试后做出的决定。这样我们就可以将契机和初次尝试这两件事情链接起来,使得故事流畅起来。

当自然过渡到为什么想申请某转码项目之后,就下来的两个部分就是文书申请的常规部分: why this school/program 和why you

那除了基本夸学校好之外,我们可以更具体一点说明到是某项课程,或者是某个教授,因为这样可以表现出我们不仅仅是随意浏览了一下官网,而是确实有研究过这个项目。此外我们还需要强调这个项目的学习对于我们的职业规划有什么帮助,因为学校也期待毕业的校友给学校和项目带来正面的影响(也就是俗称的画大饼😂)

在why you的部分,我先是强调了自己能为community diversity带来怎样的积极影响,接着我就稍稍升华了一下,那最关键其实还是call back了我文书的关键词: persistence & optimism. 再次向学校表明我可以🤓

所以到最后总结一下可以看出来,我写了一个敢于挑战,不怕困难的👧🏻的故事,并在其中表达了自己为什么想转码的理由,以及对未来职业生涯的憧憬。整篇文书也围绕着我开篇的关键词,这样一篇流畅完整的文书就完成了💯

最后的最后,还想提一下各位转专业的姐妹不要忽视掉自己本专业背景,如果能在文书中恰当的融合,会使得文书更具个人特色, 也会有利于自己引出能怎样提升community diversity.

祝大家申请顺利!offer 多多!如果觉得本次分享有用的话求加米!(小白选手要开始准备找实习了!!)

补充内容 (2021-11-10 01:52 +08:00):
如果有小伙伴想询问关于文书的问题可以通过这个📮联系我哈:jessieffff狗家后缀
29条回复