PS求意见:2022fall申请UCL digital media: critical studies

我打算申请2022fallUCL的digital media: critical studies MA,现在PS最后在revise,想听听大神们的意见,感激不尽,谢谢。

PS正文如下:
While scrolling pages on cell phone and posting opinions on social media, have you ever thought that your media texts might be interpreted by audience in a different way, even apart from your original meaning? Sometimes I did. Posting disruptive opinions online risks a lot, because you cannot control other people’s mind.
Previously I have been wondering why it’s unacceptable to share my own perspectives on social media, just because it’s not concurred with the press and official discourse. I was good at criticising mainstream media texts, especially political correctness, but always considered as unpatriotic. Things have changed three years ago. Enrolled at the liberal art college, I experienced a different world opening up to me; excited by a free and encouraging environment, I found myself more than passionate about criticising irrational media texts and outputting my independent views. At here, my voice is respected and heard. One of my supervisors, Jungmo Youn, a scholar with a good reputation in the field of cultural theory, had boosted my critical thinking with various theories. Stuart Hall’s encoding and decoding model reminds me that it’s unnecessary to be in accordance with the dominant-hegemonic code, because the sense of worth conveyed by state-owned media is as Althusser said, the ideological state apparatus. Michel Foucault revealed that the state uses media tools to discipline its citizens, but as an intellectual and audience, I can choose to decode the message freely.
In the second semester of my junior year, teamed with a few members, I conducted a research project about how short videos shape the image of a city. We did content analysis and media textual analysis critically, then found the reconstruction of city image by short videos is a dynamic process. With the transfer of discourse power from authority to individual, the traditional communication status as dominant-hegemonic position was broken. Different from official narration, everyone can express their perspectives of city image, and the digital media they use accelerated the reconstruction process. Through the critical study, once again, I firmly believe that I have always been right: think differently, independently, and critically is the highest faith in my life; especially in the media and communication field.
I have been looking for a university that encourages students to conduct critical studies. Delightedly, I found University College London. I still remember how excited I was when I first visited UCL's official website and saw the slogan "Disruptive thinking since 1826." At that moment, I almost cried out, "I found it!" Digital Media: Critical Studies MA did attract me. As a holder of BA degree in International Journalism, my academic practice in college and working experience in the news industry have enabled me to have a certain understanding of the operation of digital media and its relationship with the audience. My future plan is to devote myself to media industry with critical insights or continue to study Ph.D. and become a scholar in the field of culture and communication. I believe that studying at UCL could provide me with an opportunity to reach my prospective aims, and my critical view and feature will bring diversity and inspiration to the department. I feel that UCL is a premier institution for an aspiring MA candidate and as such, a very competitive program. But I know I have the tools and the determination to excel in such a stimulating and challenging environment.

感激不尽,互相学习,谢谢。
0条回复