2)这种初心改变了吗?
3) 为什么放弃了你现在的专业?
4) 为什么现在又想读cs?
Paragraph 2: 具体展开能用cs怎么达到目标,以及前期做了什么准备
1)具体怎么用cs达到目标?这里需要把握一个度,不要提到具体的语言和framework
2)想要研究/想要深造的领域有哪些?
Paragraph 3: 事例1:
1)之前做过什么事情?为什么要做这个事情?
2)这个事情产生了什么样的impact(帮助了什么样的群体,有什么具体的产出)?
Paragraph 4: 事例2:
1)之前做过什么事情?为什么要做这个事情?
2)这个事情产生了什么样的impact(帮助了什么样的群体,有什么具体的产出)?
Paragraph 5: why school
我和学校为什么合适?
我有什么特质是学校的实验室/community需要的?为什么?
Paragraph 6: 我的职业目标
1)我的短期和长期职业目标是什么?
2)我能够对我所在学校和城市的community做出什么样的贡献?

具体文书分析版:

Paragraph 1: 开篇解释清楚为什么要转专业:
1)为什么要读原来的专业?
2)这种初心改变了吗?
3) 为什么放弃了你现在的专业?
4) 为什么现在又想读cs?

Growing up in a household of doctors, I heard many stories of patients struggling with scheduling
appointments and paying bills. My compassion for their suffering motivated me to learn more about the
impact of healthcare access disparities on vulnerable communities and sparked my interest in promoting
equal access to healthcare. Hoping to bring healthcare reform as a doctor or a policymaker, I majored in XXX and XXX.
解释了我的初心是想要去帮助看不起病的病人。很多研究生学校都很看重这种你怎么样能用自己所学所得去为community做贡献,所以这里先着重强调想要帮助弱势群体有足够的医疗条件的想法。我因为想要帮助别人的初心选择了原来的专业,为后面做铺垫

Despite having enthusiasm for both majors, I’ve been exploring a practical solution that can bypass the bottleneck constraint of achieving healthcare accessibility: the unequal distribution of medical resources. A feasible way to do so is to use Computer Science (CS) to achieve the optimization of resource allocation.

在这里解释为什么我没有在原来的专业深造,是因为现在的社会条件之下,继续在原来的专业不能让我实现我初心的目标,而不是对原来的专业失去兴趣了。适当讨论现在社会/行业的现状会让学校觉得你有做好研究并且对用cs改变世界是认真的而不是只是为了申请而写

总结:第一段里,我简单的提出了我的初心是去帮助看不起病的病人,所以当初才选择了读生物化学想成为医生/读政治想成为policy maker. 这种初心是没有改变的,但我发现因为资源短缺的限制,这两个专业不能让我轻易达到我的目的,所以决定转码。

Paragraph 2: 具体展开能用cs怎么达到目标,以及前期做了什么准备
1)具体怎么用cs达到目标?这里需要把握一个度,不要提到具体的语言和framework
2)想要研究/想要深造的领域有哪些?
3) 为什么想要去读研究生?
4) 为了读研究生做了哪些准备?

As my ultimate goal is to develop innovative software (eg. Medical AI) to address the challenge
of healthcare accessibility among vulnerable communities, I want to gain a solid understanding of Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Software Engineering by pursuing a graduate degree in Computer Science.
开门见山地点出我具体如何打算用cs如何实现我的目标 + 我具体喜欢的是哪些领域+ 我想要用研究生学习的时间来打好基础。

Although it was too late to change my major to computer science in my senior year, I sought every opportunity to gain more experience. While it is uncharted territory for me, I did great in all the mathematics prerequisites for CS while completing a minor in statistics. In addition, I aced fundamental programming classes, XXXX. To empower aspiring students to become social innovators within their communities and beyond, I worked as a teaching assistant for a senior-level class XXXX.

解释了为什么我没有直接在undergrad就进入cs行业,同时强调了我发现了对cs的兴趣之后的persistence和有initiative. 这里就可以把各种相关的经验都写上来了!可以作为有initiative的表现~
强调即使是一个陌生的领域,我也能做的很好(暗示我的能力很强,之后也可以做的很好)。
ATTENTION! 不要列举课名,不要列举课名,不要列举课名,重要的事情说三次。挑一个有代表性的课就好(比如说我将来想做的事情和machine learning, AI相关,我就写了一个algorithm相关的课)。也不要列举成绩,招生官有我们的成绩单,不需要重复的~如果一定要说,可以用”I aced.. I did great …I finished with honor..“来代替。我个人觉得最好不要提到绩点是多少除非是满分

Paragraph 3:
事例1:
1)之前做过什么事情?为什么要做这个事情?
2)这个事情产生了什么样的impact(帮助了什么样的群体,有什么具体的产出,可以举例子)?
ATTENTION! 找我看文书的同学还蛮多的,都有这个问题就是在描述自己的经历时重复简历上的内容。招生官有我们的简历,也有我们的最重要的事情是体现你解决问题的思维,并不是重复你简历上的内容

My enthusiasm for making an impact in my community motivated me to learn CS further. As COVID-19 brought an unprecedented disruption to medical services, I wanted to help reduce the stress in the overloaded medical system by encouraging healthy behavior (eg. mask-wearing) among the University community. Therefore, I decided to develop a web app to visualize how behaviors affect the pandemic via simulation.
解释清楚我做过的跟cs相关的项目的context + 目标 + 具体的行为

下面这部分是重点:
To accurately capture inner-community transmission, I represented each student with vertex and their relationship (eg. friends, colleagues) as edge weight. While designing interactive visualizations, I challenged myself to present this complex model in a user-friendly way. (省略了technical details) Knowing this website’s targets audience was around 50,000 university students, I took into account the different reader demographics for the information design. In this experience, I used a user-centered approach that was adapted from my audience-centered analysis skill as a north star to code and present information effectively.

英文有句话叫做”show, don’t tell”. 我个人觉得如果我想去的哪个学校有一些desired的quality(比如有些学校喜欢会挑战自我的学生,有些学校喜欢深入研究并且有persistence的学生),我就要在我做过的事情里体现出来。比如cornell tech的口号就是培养将来的leader,并且他们有研发product的课,我的理解就是他们非常喜欢有initiative/对user群体有很深了解的学生,我这段里体现的就是这些特质。一般来说学校都喜欢接受挑战的学生,所以可以想一想在工作上有没有遇到什么挑战?

ATTENTION! 我看过的文书里,在讲述自己的经历的时候,很多同学都列举了他们做的项目的全名然后各种项目的details (比如是在哪个prof/老板底下干活)。我个人感觉如果不是prof/老板在业界名气很大或者是这个老板给你写了推荐信,真的不需要讲那么仔细。如果一定要的话,可以放在简历里。文书里更多是要体现你的思维和怎么解决问题的。
或者是提到太多具体的technical details。比如我一开始的时候,我写了很多我用的statistical models的细节,但是这样列举是不能体现我的性格习惯/能力的,只能说明我对这个model知道很多而已。但习惯,品性,research process这些都是transferable knowledge,以后可以应用到更多知识上,所以更需要体现

Paragraph 4:
事例2:
1)之前做过什么事情?为什么要做这个事情?
2)这个事情产生了什么样的impact(帮助了什么样的群体,有什么具体的产出,可以举例子)?

With the desire to use CS to help marginalized communities, I joined XXX as a software engineer intern. I was responsible for developing a Machine Learning (ML) based chatbot to help improve
caregivers’ mental health.
照旧是context + 目标+行为

下面这部分是重点:
My background in both humanities and life science gave me a unique perceptive in understanding the current healthcare landscape and what marginalized communities need from a conversational AI: an empathetic AI that can classify users' emotions and communicate smoothly with users.

强调我的背景的unique的地方:相对于纯粹读cs的群体,我有对社会问题/医疗系统有更深的理解,所以我觉得xxx是非常有效能帮助弱势群体的。
很多同学可能会觉得本身不是cs的背景是弱势,但我们要尝试把弱势变成我们的强项呀。在这里,我就很清晰地表明了我的背景对我学cs是一个优势,因为我更能有洞察力+更能用cs去做一些帮助他人的事情。

Hence I configured the chatbot to react differently to different emotions. (省略了technical details) In addition, I modified the model to also predict the confidence level of the prediction. (省略了technical details) Through this experience, I further realized the intrinsic value of my interdisciplinary background: I perceived the problem differently from my peers and will be able to provide insights into how computing can help users best.

再次点题提醒一下招生官我的interdisplinary background的优势~(哈哈哈

Paragraph 5:
1) 我和学校为什么合适?
2) 我有什么特质是学校的实验室/community需要的?为什么?

The application of the chatbot struck me as a game-changer and excites me as it exemplifies how CS can be used to tackle resource allocation issues and create an impact on millions. Thus, I want to gain an in-depth understanding of XXX and provide solutions to the major issues today. XXX program is the perfect opportunity for me to receive formal training in CS and become a pioneer leader in promoting innovative medical technology.
全篇summarize,是什么事情冲击到我了让我想要转码?可以结合目标专业想要培养的人才来写自己想要成为什么样的人

下面这部分是重点:
My hands-on development experience will let me fit right into the project-based learning environment in various classes and learned on a deeper level. For example, XXX (目标学校的某具体课程)will allow me to learn the underlying logic of commonly-used ML algorithms and apply them to medical AI systems. Moreover, I will thrive in XXX classes with my unique perspective, product development experience, and eagerness to innovate by engaging in prototype testing with real users and industry experts. Further, my entrepreneurial pursuits can be best supported by the vibrant startup culture in XXX (eg. 目标学校与创业相关的项目).

在why school的部分直接说出了关于我的什么特质/经历能让我更加合适这个环境。很多同学的误区在于只说了学校有多好,没有说出自己和学校的fit。此处通过举各种细节的例子同时表现出自己对学校很了解,尝试给学校一种进去就会如鱼得水的印象~可以同时通过上课+科研方面进行探讨,比如说你的哪些skill和学校的哪些lab非常契合!
Paragraph 6:
1)我的短期和长期职业目标是什么?
2)我能够对我所在城市的community做出什么样的贡献?

After graduation, I plan to work for leading tech companies that promote accessible healthcare services for vulnerable communities. As 1 in 4 XX city residents are people with disabilities and suffer from chronic conditions, I plan to eventually set up my own startup that promotes affordable & accessible digital healthcare services. The unique location of XXX, home to millions of tech companies and healthcare professionals will provide me with the best ground to test and promote healthcare reform.
不只是强调你学校里的community做出的贡献,还要强调你对所在城市的community可以做出什么贡献。我这里是结合了我想要帮助的群体选择了people with disabilities,大家可以多做research了解一下学校所在城市的社会问题是怎么样的,你自身的知识/skills可以怎么帮忙解决这些问题

总结:

我认为一篇好的文书是清晰明了的但又要体现出你个人的性格的,虽然研究生的文书和美本不一样,不是完全写故事,但也要从中穿插能体现出你个人性格的故事!
大家千万不要觉得自己转专业就是完全的劣势,我们从转专业这个事情上其实能体现出很多性格特征,比如说会对自己的现状和社会的问题进行思考,对community想要做出贡献的善心,然后坚持不屑的努力和即使是转专业也能做的很好的能力,这些都是我们可以谈到的优势呀~

很多同学在写文书之前其实蛮忐忑的,我个人的习惯是先根据prompt写出一个outline,然后对outline反复修改。确定了大致要写的内容和大概要写在哪里之后慢慢写,写了之后大改的可能性也会小一些。要好好探索一下自己的经历呀,说不定会有宝藏~

好了,今天的分享就到此为止啦~大家如果有问题的话可以留言,如果人多我就留个邮箱哈哈
祝大家申请顺利,拿超多超多offer !如果觉得我分享的这些对你有帮助的话记得给加米哦!

补充内容 (2022-04-19 18:01 +8:00):
忘了补充了,我的GPA在申请的时候是3.32,并不算高,所以被梦校录取了也算是逆袭了,开心~
28条回复